Sunday, December 1, 2019

11/30/19 Saturday November 30, 2019 (Squat Camp review Next Level Barbell Milwaukee OR)

10am - Start of Squat Camp at a Starting Strength affiliated gym Next Level Barbell in Milwaukee, OR owned by Jordan Stanton

Had an amazing time at this Squat Camp and I would do another one of these in a heartbeat. Following the Starting Strength method, Jordan and his guys took about 9 of us through the paces for 5 hours until 3pm.  We did a section on bio-mechanics, technique on the squat, and had some long sessions at the end on Programming and an open Q&A for over an hour which I thought was awesome.

For work sets I worked up to 4 sets of 315lbs x 5 reps.  Never squatted this weight for even one rep.  Proud of that effort. 

We backed off with 2 sets of "paused" squats at 80% which for me was 255lbs, x 5 reps.

Bottom line the biggest technique takeaway for me was less about technique and more about just knowing know where "depth" is.  I was not hitting depth in training on many of my squats, and I realize that now.  I was going to parallel but need to get below it.  I know where that is now and I was getting drilled on it during the session. 

The other piece was breathing through the mouth, not just nose, and taking in way more air.  That was a big learning point as well. 

Watching some of the other lifters was helpful too.

Other than that, I have definitely already fixed the bar and wrist positions coming into the training, those were not an issue whatsoever, so that is encouraging.

We worked hard.  I now know what it is like to truly work hard in a squat, and I can take this with me into my own training sessions.  I definitely realize there is another level I need to get myself into when entering that garage and putting the plates on the bar.

3pm - End

No comments:

Post a Comment