Sunday, April 6, 2014

4/6/14 Sunday April 6, 2014 (interval running / pull ups / push ups)

Got going Sunday afternoon.  Weather was decent, pretty good running weather.  Air was warmed, had to ditch my stocking cap for the first time all year.  That was nice.  Went with a different scheme this week - 2 minute running intervals, a total of 16 segments of these for 32 minutes running. Looked like this:

2 min run, SL DLs 4/4, 2 min run, 4 pull-ups, 4 push-ups
x 8

Total of 32 minutes running, 32/32 SL DLs, 32 pull-ups, 32 push-ups

I liked this but I am thinking I can run less and get the same benefits.  I am going to go with 12 segments next week, which will equate to 24 minutes running.  I am going to bump the reps on everything back up to 5s, which will equal out to 30 pull ups and 30 push ups.  I am going to try and push the pace harder on the running, knowing that I have less segments should help with this.  I really pushed it on one of the last ones today and I know I have the ability to push harder but I am going to have to decrease the overall running time to maintain a good level of power.  That is really the point of this work so I need to get the overall running time down to accommodate.  It will be interesting to see the impact on the strength movements.  Today was the shortest intervals I have ran using the 2 minute markers, and it was not a problem, pull ups and push ups were quite strong.  It's good to keep mixing it up.  Eventually would be great to get pistols and one-arm push ups going here, but I need to work on variations with Kevin and on my own to get started down that road.

Also I would be remiss to not mention that I woke up TIGHT AS HELL today, I could not believe it, didn't even see that coming.  It's really my R armpit/lat/psoas/oblique/hip, very very tight stuff.  Bar hangs today helped a lot as did lacrosse ball work.  It's from push pressing and snatching, that really hits those muscles hard and although I noticed nothing at all Friday or Saturday, the 2-day DOMS hit me hard.  That does happen to me sometimes.  It's a delay and then hits 2 days after.  Have to be vigilant to keep those spots loosened up, fortunately I have some different techniques that help.  Some soft tissue massage or bodywork may be in order very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment