Monday, December 30, 2013

12/28/13 Saturday December 28, 2013 (3.5 mile run, pull-ups)

Keeping up with the consistent running at least once a week building on the Seattle half marathon training, I got in a nice 3-4 mile run around Greenlake Saturday afternoon.  Wow this is the best my legs, ankles, arches have felt running in a long, long time but I have been noticing since the race that each week they have been feeling better.  I think it just really took a long time to build up the running volume in the minimalist Vivos I wear for training and running, as well as primarily just dealing with the very long layoff from not running much for two full years (all KBs basically).  But I have to say, I have a stronger foundation now, particularly so much stronger in the glutes, my stride is better, I have more stability throughout my entire structure, and it is a good feeling to get out and run. I am really glad I can do this.

Inspired by a recent blog post by Pavel on the StrongFirst web site, "Strong First Ground Work", which outlined doing aerobic work interspersed with quick short sets of 1-arm / 1-leg pushups or pistols, rinse and repeat, I realized I could get some Pull-Up training done at the lake his way at the two different Pull-Up stations.  I really don't know why I didn't think of this before.  So I realized it at the end of the run but got in a few sets of Pull-Ups, realizing that the really thick bars near the basketball hoops are absolutely terrible for pull-ups, but the rings are GREAT.  I will check out the other Pull-Up station and hopefully those bars are normal and can be used for P/Us and chins.  After talking with Kevin I am going to set it up where I do about 1 mile of aerobic work, then a set of 3-5 pullups, then rinse and repeat for a total of 3-4 miles, 3-4 sets of P/Us.  This should be an excellent compliment to my KB training and keep things fresh enough so that the P/U test at the SFG (5 strict P/Us) is no issue for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment