Sunday, December 28, 2014

12/23/14 Tuesday Dec 23 - Sunday Dec 28, 2014 - Vacation in South Dakota

I took my kids to Deadwood, South Dakota (my birthplace and where a lot of my mom's family resides) for Christmas.  It was amazing, and we had a great trip, something I know my kids will remember and that is very special to me.

As far as training goes I didn't really know what to expect.  There is a rec center (basically a YMCA) a block from my grandmother's house with a weight room, pool etc. so I knew I was going to get a little bit of stuff in.  The plan was to go easy regardless and use this as a recharge week.

It turns out they had some light kettlebells, measured in lbs, ranging from 15lb to the heaviest at 45lb (basically an 8kg up to a 20kg).  There were double 40lb kbs which is basically somewhere between a 16kg and a 20kg (essentially an 18kg).  Not a size I ever use.

I got in some training on Wed the 24th and Saturday the 27th.  On Wed the 24th I spent a lot of time doing mobility work and teaching one my brothers some basic mobility work and KB lifts.  That was fun.  I ended up getting in probably 20 minutes or so of decent work.  I decided to do sets of 5 of double snatches with the 40lbs (haven't done a double snatch in god knows 21 months or something), and then did overhead walks, and then sets of 5 double front squats.  I did about 5 rounds of this complex, and thought it was pretty cool.  Mixed in a few sets of 1H SW with the 45lb among doing various other demos of some lifts for my brother.

On Sat the 27th I was by myself and after warming up I did "kettlebell aerobics" which is something I pulled from the SFG Blog.  With the 45lb KB I put 20 minutes on the timer and did 1 CL, 1 PR, 1 SQ and then switched hands, just going back and forth at a steady pace, and doing some fast and loose shaking out the tension between each round.  I ended up doing 18 rounds on each side, so nearly kept up a pace of 1/1 per minute for the 20 minutes.  Felt great and just what I was looking for.  I then did my Fighter Pull-Up work for the week, in a circuit with push-ups and SL DLs with the 45lb KB.   Did 5 total rounds of the circuit, with the pull-ups being 6/5/4/4/3 (22 reps, 1 up from last week), push-ups at 5 per circuit with the first 3 reps in each set basic push-ups and the last 2 reps per set lizard push-ups, and then 5/5 on the SLDLs each round.

I swam with my kids on the 24th and 27th as well, and went skiing with them on the 26th.  It was a perfect mix of relaxation and being active on this vacation.  Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment