Friday, February 5, 2016

2/5/16 Friday February 5, 2016 (training with Kevin, 40kg CL - PR)

6:15am - Training with Kevin

Some foam roll, and then we spent 20-25 minutes doing various FMS tests, particularly focused on thoracic mobility and the outcome of those tests (hamstring flexibility, shoulder flexibility).  I was scoring on the verge of a 1/2 on each (you want to at least be at a solid 2), not a surprise after rolling out of bed and being completely not warmed up at all.  Belly breathing on the floor coupled with Rib Pulls made a huge difference particularly on the shoulder testing, which was cool to see.  I will be incorporating these drills into my warm-ups on training days and on active recovery days. It's critical that I really maintain the most mobility possible in the thoracic spine given the intensive overhead lifting needed to train for the SFG II weekend in August.

In terms of bell work we did a number of TGUs, starting with 20kg into the windmill and overhead position.  Then did a series of heavier TGUs to the elbow, going 24, 28, 32 and doing some 36kg TGUs to the elbow.  During the next cycle we are going to work this heavier TGU work into the rotation.  Then did a number of 2H heavy swings, 32, 36, 40kg, and finished with a few loaded cleans, 36 and 40kg.  I had never cleaned a 40kg, so that is a PR:)  That shit was heavy.  Kevin thought I probably could press the 40kg but that was not the plan today and that's fine.  This next cycle we are going to work a lot of pressing with the 28kg, really trying to build up so that I can start using a 32kg as a training weight for pressing.  That would be a really tremendous accomplish to look at the 32kg and see that as a training weight, for what used to be the 24kg for me.  Just have to not get greedy, be smart, get good recovery time, and make sure I am listening to my body.  Good times ahead I feel.

7:30am - Finish

No comments:

Post a Comment