Sunday, August 2, 2015

8/1/15 Saturday August 1, 2015 (pull-ups, push-ups, DB 28kg carries)

Writing this on Sunday afternoon.  Dropped the kids off on Saturday afternoon and then hit this training in near 90 degree heat, though I was in the shade (except for the farmers).

Hanging from rings

8 pull-ups (rings)
5 push-ups

Pistol squat, 1/1 (been a very long time, and these were very good reps)

7 pull-ups
3/3 push-ups - Lizard style

Pistol squat, 1/1

6 pull-ups
3/3 push-ups - 1 leg

6 pull-ups
5 push-ups

5 pull-ups
5 push-ups

Total pull-ups - 32.  Up one from last week.  Used a bit more rest between sets as I planned, which helped me hit these all pretty solidly.  Doing a few pistol squats was very fun and those were good reps.  Didn't want to overdo anything so just keep it to two sets of rep per leg.  Will very slowly build these back in.

45 minute brisk walk

4 sets of DB 28kg farmer carries up, probably about 75 seconds each (timed with my phone).

Upped the weight from DB 24kgs which I have been doing lately.  I like farmers a LOT for building grip strength, and mental strength too (keep walking even when you really want to put the damn things down).  I am looking to, very very slowly and methodically, build up to doing farmers with my two 36kg bells.  I have two of those damn heavy bells for a reason and I want to be carrying those around very solidly, without straining or over-exertion.  If I can work up to that level, I think my grip (and probably posture too) would benefit and that could help a lot of other lifts a great deal.

Finished by doing a double clean with the 28kgs, into 2 reps of FSQs, just to see what it felt like, without doing something stupid.  You know, they were pretty heavy, heavier than I remember for sure:)

I have been doing a bit of thinking about goal-setting and where to take training as I slowly work my way back from the rehab work etc. etc. that has dominated the last several months.  A couple of things come to mind:

-Front squatting DB 32kgs with great form, confidence, for sets and reps
-TGUs with the 32kg with a perfect lockout position overhead
-I am intrigued out doing pull-ups with weight (KBs) - I am really into pull-ups and greatly enjoy the mix of bodyweight and KB work on the weekends, particularly pull-ups.  My rep count is getting high and I wonder if it would be beneficial to try a cycle of weighted pull-ups if that makes sense in a complementary way with other training.  If this does, I would like to get something to hook the bell onto around my waist - need to discuss with Kevin.
-Training the SFG2 lifts safely, and effectively, and taking as long as it takes to do so without doing anything that is unnecessarily increasing the risk of injury

I have learned a few things from the past several months.  TGUs are an excellent indicator for me of shoulder health, and allow me to assess if I am having mobility issues.  My body generally does not seem to respond well to high volume overhead lifts, but I believe using TGUs to ensure stability overhead can help me a lot.  TGUs have never bothered me - it's pressing and snatching (and jerks) that seems to stir up issues.  I think I can actually build reasonable pressing strength by going lower volume on these lifts but using the TGU and also heavy double front squats to build a strong pressing base in the lower body.  Pull-ups also do not seem to cause issues for me if done in a measured way, low volume (I think the pulling movement (extension for the back) actually offsets computer work (flexion) which is good for me).  Lastly, I want to achieve the long-term goal of becoming an SFG2.  I really enjoy KBs, the KB community and my experience at StrongFirst's SFG level 1 certification in Vancouver BC was awesome.  Realistically my experience thus far with the advanced KB lifts has not gone all that well.  I've had issues with windmills, with bent presses, and with jerks.  Level 2 is a lot of overhead work.  I think I have had issues because I did not prepare my body appropriately for this work, probably tried to do too much too fast, and I think in doing these lifts in the future I need more coaching and supervision from Kevin to make sure I am doing these safely and correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment